The Old Town and the Castle of Viest
The old town of Vieste is located on a rock overlooking the sea, among narrow streets.
According to the seafaring tradition, houses are white. Distinctive strings act as a liaison among the houses, and stairs allow you to climb up to reach the highest place above the sea level.
The old town of Vieste stands out for its fragrance, its colours, the voices of its people, and the sounds of nature. Loggias are embellished by ornamental plants, red brick vases filled with basil, rosemary, parsley and sage: all the typical smells of the Mediterranean sea.
The two main attractions of the old town are the Cathedral and the Castle.
The original construction of the Cathedral of Vieste dates back to the XI century.
A wooden statue depicting the Blessed Virgin Mary of Merino stands inside. The cathedral itself is dedicated to her, and it was named Basilica Minore in 1981 by Pope John Paul II.
Not far from the Basilica is the imposing Castle of Vieste. Its construction is attributed to the will of Frederick II of Swabia. Its current architecture, however, refers to the reconstruction made in 1537 by the Spanish; the triangular plan is bounded on the east, north and west side by three pentagonal bastions.
From the castle one can enjoy a beautiful sea view and vice versa…